Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I think I am becoming a green junkie

A couple years ago I started incorporating more fruits and veggies into my everyday diet. As this was a good thing I didn't stop eating chips, chocolate, and hamburgers. I really didn't think about how much I was eating the junk because I almost always cooked healthy. Fried foods maybe 3-4 times a year, hardly any red meat, and rarely gravies. It was what I wasn't cooking that hurt me.

My plan was to go to the doctor for my yearly workup in March so I could lose more weight and maybe my numbers would be decent. I could feel my body was not right and I was always feeling bad. It was easy to blame a lot of it on fibro but I knew in my heart that was not all of it. Well, my plan was derailed because I got an UTI. I tried natural remedies to cure it to no avail.

Well, my blood pressure was high and I had gained ten pounds. No surprise. Also, my gallbladder is swollen and probably full of stones so it may have to come out. I have been having pains for a while. She decided that I wasn't going to do anything about my weight and wanted to put me on blood pressure meds and then told me that next would be diabetes, heart attack, and then I will die prematurely. I think she was tired of telling me to lose weight and was not going to hold back this time.

Exactly what I needed. I have watched people die a slow death due to poor nutrition and exercise and it wasn't pretty. I do not want to be one of them. I told her give me 2 months and if I didn't lower my blood pressure I would start the meds. I went home and cried because I do not want to take meds and I do not want my gallbladder taken out. I researched both and decided I had a shot of reversing this.

I changed my diet the next day. For six days now I have only eaten fruits, veggies, and a once a day a handful of meat. I have also made two smoothies using strawberries, a banana, and a cup of milk.

I had major withdrawals the first three days. Headaches, nausea, diarrhea and fever. I was miserable but after three days I felt great. I do not crave junk. I would like to eat chips because I like them but I haven't had the urge to eat from the bag on the counter. I would like to eat a fajita taco at my nieces party this weekend but I have already purposed it in my heart that I am not going to do it. I just can't. I have to get this weight off or feel miserable for the rest of my life. And actually, I have really enjoyed the way I am eating.

So I guess my point is I am on my way to being a green junkie!

No comments: