Friday, January 13, 2012

Do you like cabbage soup?

It is freezing outside, literally. It will warm up a little but considering I was in shorts last week it is nice to have a couple days of winter weather. Of course with winter weather comes warm soup.

Shouldn't soup be spelled soop?

Anyway, I made cabbage soup yesterday and it was so good! It is a favorite around here so I thought you may like to try it too.

Cabbage Soup Ingredients
one head of cabbage, chopped into little pieces
4 stalks of celery, chopped
chicken stock (Mine was homemade but I didn't measure how much I put in. I did put enough to half way cover the veggies and sausage then I added water to completely cover them)
one link of sausage, sliced (I usually use jalapeno sausage because it adds just enough spice for us)

Bring chicken stock and water to a boil

Add cabbage, celery, and sliced sausage
Bring back to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer.

Let it simmer for about 35 minutes or until celery is tender.

Serve with crackers, cornbread or by itself!

I sometimes change it up and add green beans, onions, chicken and/or carrots. Sometimes I will use canned stewed tomatoes in place of the chicken stock and add water. It is a basic soup so you can add just about anything.

Do you eat cabbage?

No comments: